Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Etretat in Dinnsenchas

Burning crows in amber dawn,
Shattered waves shine through gold
In arcs of drops and silvery foam
As years fade in childish games of old.

Beaches and cliffs dancing in half-light,
Sea gulls flirting with rain and cloud,
My heart beats and shivers with delight
As my soul cries memories so loud.

Sacred groves and blessed hawthorns,
Venerable oaks and hidden thorns,
Ancient oaths and promises fade away
As gentle spines lead my lonely way.

Glorious battle born from an alliance
Covered the grass with tender crimson.
Salty tears and memories kill vengeance
As mothers' mourns ramble in off-season.

Dream-like birds and kites in dawn
Recalls a forbidden childhood
For which today I quietly moan,
Creating verses for our brotherhood.

Burning crows in amber dawn,
Shattered waves breaking in rays of gold,
Arcs of pearls shine in silvery foam
As years fade in childish games of old.

Note : Composed according to the Irish Dinnsenchas. Etretat is well-known in France for its cliffs and beaches. It is located in Normandy, where I used to live when I was a child. The "Glorious battle born from an alliance" evokes of course memories of D-Day. I thought the Lord of the Green Dragons could use a few of my own verses. Please let me know what you think.

No comments: