Monday, March 23, 2009

Hardcover Theater: A Princess of Mars and Grimm's Tales adapted for the Stage




Boy we certainly know that pulp fiction is making a resurgence when I note that since 2002 it has been going on behind our backs and on stage. Where have I been?

This morning, stirred by Jame's fine post on Mr. Saunder's Imaro character, who I've seen mentioned elsewhere, I sat back and thought about the pulps. I've also been spending some down time with a cold, so I did that in and out of writing the blog article by watching some old Flash Gordon reels at You-Tube, which of course made me order the DVD, love that stuff, especially the Clay People of Mars in all those nifty sets that gave another tunnel-like feel to me as a kid watching these. But I digress.

I thought of those Flash Gordon scene-cuts where the actors just enter from off-set, having been staged there, and that it was so reminiscent of the theater (I am sure this is no revelation, just that I don't follow theater nor it's history or comparative studies that much). Well, the similarity struck me as comparable so I immediately did a search on 'pulp fiction and theater'... and so we have today's topic.

It's really beautiful how correspondences work throughout our life and between similar mindsets and what comes of it, thus, by growth!

There's more pictures on their site. Gotta love the role-playing going on here with the symbolic heads and all. And look at those costumes! They also have a movie clip there of their performance of Princess of Mars. What's next? Hey, if you're in the Twin Cities, go support this troupe, I know I will.

1 comment:

Benoist said...

"It's really beautiful how correspondences work throughout our life and between similar mindsets and what comes of it, thus, by growth!"

Man... this brought me back years ago with the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Alright. By now you're thinking "here's Ben again bringing up gaming." Well, Gary brought a lot of stuff into focus for me as an infant. How to look at heraldry as the symbols of people rather than impersonal shields. How to look at castles and think about their functions. How to watch the "Adventures of Robin Hood" and be enthralled again.

Now I must admit, the Errol Flynn movie is my ultimate favorite movie of all time. How could I not bring this up? This is the ultimate correspondence for me.